Welcome to WVU Recycling! As Mountaineers, we know WeCan divert waste from landfills and send our recyclables on to a second life. On this site, you’ll find information on everything from what you can recycle to how to volunteer for some of our programs such as Mountaineers Recycle.
So, what can I recycle on campus?
WVU collects daily at most campus buildings for the following items.
- Light cardboard (letterhead boxes, soda cartons, as long as they are not corrugated)
- Phone books
- Glossy magazines
- Shredded paper
- Office paper
- Manila folders with metal binders
- Paper clips and staples are not an issue
- Number 1 transparent plastic-clear, green, and brown
- Soda cans
- Corrugated accepted in cardboard dumpster outside most buildings
What can’t I recycle?
- Any item soiled with food (i.e. to-go boxes, paper plates, paper towels)
- Steel soup cans
- Big coffee cans
- Non-transparent plastic (#2)/plastic grocery bags
Here’s a printable guide to hang beside the bins in your area!
We also have contracts with local recyclers to collect ink and toner cartridges, lightbulbs, batteries, scrap metals, and electronics.
Check out our links on the left side of this page to learn more about our other programs and special recycling materials!